I realized how social media could influence the style of teaching after I read the article. The technology enhances the student to effectively communicate with the educator in a way that the traditional face to face class could not allow.  The students use a cornucopia of informational and HR available through the network and the educator’s encouragement, making it easier to learn collaboratively and cooperatively. I noticed that the critical factor in online reading and learning is how to use the available technology (Major, 2015). Although it is a new idea, it is not a complicated process. Social media allows learners to create knowledge together while personally reflecting on the learning itself. In other words, I have realized that social media is one of the most important techniques educators can utilize since they give learners the ability to obtain more useful information while connecting with the learning groups as well as the other educational systems. This makes the entire learning process more convenient by providing the learners and institutions with different opportunities to improve learning techniques.

After completing the reading of Jordan and Weller (2017), I gained a deeper insight into the open education technique in schools, including its origin from the UK. I did not have a clear image of how the open classrooms could be in the 1970s. This material helped me in clearing my traditional misunderstanding between the concept of open education or the open classroom with online learning (Jordan & Weller, 2017). The internet was not available during the time, and there was no much innovative technology as the current.  Most importantly, the material helped me understand the evolution of the open education concept from 1969 to the current era. The theme of open education has significantly changed from its initiation, mainly due to technology innovation and changing learning requirements.

The author did not indicate the challenges associated with implementing online learning techniques. Anything with benefits should also have some limitations or disadvantages. I expected the author to indicate self-discipline issues since the learners utilizing the online techniques are required to have high self-discipline to remain engaged. The learners who remain unengaged could be a challenge as their activities may not be effectively monitored. I also expected the author to indicate the issues of plagiarisms and cheating by the online learner. Keeping in mind, the learners are using computers and the internet; they could easily plagiarize their essays and other works. The learner may also cheat on online exams.

Jordan, K., & Weller, M. (2017). Openness and education: a beginner’s guide. Global OER Graduate Network.

Major, C. H. (2015). Teaching online: A guide to theory, research, and practice. JHU Press. (pp. 88-105)  http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874